Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Favorite Brussel Sprouts


Were you one of those kids who hated brussel sprouts or anything green? My brother, my dad, and I were, and to this day my dad still is. He won’t eat anything green, except for peas which he says should be purple. They just made a mistake. But this Christmas I actually got him to try one of my brussel sprouts. I wish I had my camera, not even my grandma had ever seen him eat a brussel sprout. In his defense, it was only a quarter of one and he ate it with a fork full of roast beef, gravy, and mashed potatoes.

So, if my dad will try one of these flavourful baby cabbages, then they must be good right? Yep, they are great. Actually they are my favorite side dish.



The best way to make brussel sprouts is to cut them in half, caramelize the insides with lemon juice, and then let them simmer for a good while. If you arrange them with their insides down in a large fry pan the carmalization is easily achieved and the bitterness that we all associate with brussel sprouts is replaced by a sweet and lemony taste. The best part is that there is no fat at all in this dish. Enjoy.

Christie's Brussel Sprouts
20-25 brussel sprouts, cut in half, leaves that fall off reserved
1 lemon
1/2 onion
2 cups of water
Salt and pepper

Squeeze lemon juice into pan, place brussel sprouts facing down in one layer. Chop reserved leaves and one brussel sprout roughly, sprinkle these over the brussel sprouts in the pan. Chop the onion and add to the pan. Add salt and pepper. Turn temperature up to high and cook until the brussel sprouts develop a brown colour on their bottoms. Turn down temperature to medium and add 1 cup of water. Reduce until water is no longer remaining, then add the second cup. When all the water has reduced remove brussel sprouts from heat and serve.

No comments: