Monday, February 9, 2009

Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Buttercream Filling



I know you are drooling right now because seriously, these taste even better than they look. These cake like cookies are number 7 of 175 different cookies in my Martha Stewart Cookie Book that I have made. I was going over to Ian's on Saturday to watch the Habs game (Toronto won? Seriously?) and all of his sweaty hockey buddies from the ball hockey game they played earlier were gathered around the TV. I wanted to bring some kind of cookie, so I started to put together a list of ingredients that I knew men loved:
1. Peanut butter
2. Chocolate
3. Peanut butter and Chocolate together

And that is how I picked the whoopie pies for the Saturday night Habs game. I prepared half a batch which made 9 massive cream filled cookies, and boy oh boy did those men love them. I think Ian is now considered the luckiest man alive. Even the bus driver tried to get one off of me when I was heading over there. Listen up women, the way to a man's heart is through cookies. A lesson for us all. Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
adapted from Martha Stewart Cookie Book

3 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks (1cup) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups butter milk, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract

Filling
1 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
salt

Cookies
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift together flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. In the bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Slowly add dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Drop 1-1/2 tbsp of batter onto lined baking pans, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake for 9 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter. Spread 2 tablespoons of frosting onto half of the cookies. Sandwich together with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Filling
Cream peanut butter and butter a bowl. Mix in sugar until combined, then beat mixture on high speed until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add salt to taste, if desired. Use immediately.

No comments: