Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lemon Tea Cakes!

Lemon Cakes (warm light) Lone sweet heart
Are these not the cutest things you've ever seen! Last time I was in Toronto I saw this super cute tea cake pan and had to have it. I have been meaning to use it for the past month, but truth be told, I was a little afraid. The man that sold it to me said that if I didn’t oil and flour it just right the little guys would stick and create a crumbly mess. Then I actually saw a sticky catastrophe on someone else’s blog and really got scared.

I decided that I needed something dense and that wouldn’t rise very much so that the suckers would just pop right out. Pound cake it was, and Ian is a lemon fanatic making it an easy choice. I looked at Martha Stewart’s recipe, and then heard about the Barefoot Contessa’s. Well it turns out that the two recipes are the same, and Ina actually took Martha’s! Oh the horror! I wouldn’t mess with Martha, she’s got a record.
Lemon Cakes = eaten
Anyways, they didn’t stick at all! Oh, and the taste was amazing, I made these for the Supper Club and while everyone was mingling, Ian’s roommate would tiptoe into the kitchen and steal one or two at a time for Ian and himself. Then they would stand in the corner and eat their contraband snacks. Sneaky guys, very sneaky.
Lemon Bread
If you are interested in the recipe you can find it here.

18 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

My boyfriend does the exact same thing when I bake.. sneaky indeed!

I think Martha is one of Ina Garten's mentors and taught her a lot of what she knows... which is, I imagine, where she got the recipe! Either way, your little cakes look delicious!

Coco Bean said...

Chocolate Shavings: That would make sense, but I would still like to see a throwdown between the two!
Men are very sneaky when it comes to food that they like.

The Fab Miss B said...

These look delightful! I am so happy to have discovered your blog (via tastespotting!)

Coco Bean said...

Miss B (the fab!)... thanks so much!

christine. said...

this recipe is just what I'm looking for!I have one of those tiny petit fore/tea cake pans from williams sonoma and I have yet to find a cake recipe that works with it (everything always ends up rising too much). how much did you end up filling each mold with? i can't wait to try this.

Sara said...

Oooh, so cute! These are adorable and they also look really really delicious!

Coco Bean said...

Christine, It seems that everyone got sucked into this pan eh! But they are sooo and everyone was impressed (with little effort on my part!) If you make them don't forget to lightly oil the pan and flour it. The second time I made these (for the photo) I put in half the amount of baking soda and half of the baking powder. Then I just filled them to almost the top and the came out great! Oh yeah, and bang the pan with the batter in it a couple times to get out the air bubbles.

Sara, I know eh, so cute. As I was saying, no one can resist the cute tea cake pan.

anna said...

Those are adorable! I've seen that pan and it is very cute.

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, don't you love anything in mini?? These little cakes look great.
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

Coco Bean said...

one ordinary day: I am so in love with anything that is tiny, especially when it is in food form!

anna, I guess william sonoma sells it eh(??) thanks!

Hilary said...

Officially the cutest thing ever!

Coco Bean said...

Ha ha, thanks Hilary, how is sunday with dorie coming?

Cakebrain said...

I love everything mini! I need the self-imposed portion control. I think the lemon pound cake idea is fantastic! I hadn't thought to use pound cake and I have a similar petits fours cake pan that has little flower shapes. I'll have to try this out! thanks for the inspiration!

Ian said...

The only problem with them being small is that I kept eating them.... one after another. They are sooooooooooooooooo good. P.S.. I love anything with lemon

Lizzie said...

aww those are so cute! i really should invest in some sort of strange baking pan contraption just for the fun of it!

Anonymous said...

I dipped some in rum before I iced them! They were like mini shots.

Coco Bean said...

ohhh rum! That sounds great... hmmm what else could they be dipped in? I can't think of anything better than rum! Oh, what if they were brownies and dipped in rum. mmmm. I'm going to have to try that this week! Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

So glad to have stumbled on to your blog! I was looking for a lemon recipe for my new mini tea cake pan like yours. Just wondering if you have tried a chocolate version in the same pan? I'd love the recipe or source... Cheers!