Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fiddleheads in a Garlic Butter Lemon Sauce

Poached Egg on Asparagus and Fiddleheads

Breakfast for Supper! Well that is the theme of the next supper club we are holding so Ian and I thought we would get into the spirit early and try these poached eggs on asparagus and fiddleheads for supper. That day my Gale Gand "Brunch!" cookbook came in the mail and we couldn't resist all the full page glossy photos of breakfast.

Fiddleheads are in season here right now and I just love them so we added them to the recipe. I hope that they freeze well because they would be great all year round. If you don't know what fiddle heads are, they are basically a type of fern that is picked at a young age. If the fern is straight it is too old to eat, but if it is curled around itself like a fiddle head, they are tender and delicious.

This dish was scrumptious, but I think the star of the show was the light butter, garlic, and lemon sauce that was drizzled over the asparagus and fiddleheads. The next day I made the sauce again for the fiddleheads alone and it was just as stunning. I don't think that I could eat them any other way. I will post the sauce below, try it, you won’t be disappointed!

P.S, the recipe for the Fennel Sausage Pasta has been posted.

Fiddleheads in a Garlic Butter Lemon Sauce
adapted from Gale Gand's "Brunch!"

20-40 Fiddleheads
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
2 tbsp. butter
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and Pepper

Cut the brown end off of the fiddleheads and let sit in cold water for 3 minutes to clean away any unwanted dirt. Blanche the fiddleheads by bringing salted water to a boil and cook for 4-6 minutes. Drain the fiddleheads and water, and then set aside. In the same pot heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and add butter. When the butter has melted add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over the fiddleheads and serve.

6 comments:

Valérie said...

I love having breakfast food for dinner!

Gale Gand's book has been making the rounds on the blogosphere... I'm getting increasingly tempted to check it out.

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

this lemon sauce sounds really delicious ... I will make some to taste it ... I will see what I will find on saturday fresh market.

thanks for the explanation about fiddleheads as I never had some ...

Tray said...

Mmmmmm, I have to try this. I just ate some the other day, sooo good :) I heard they're growing around loyola somewhere, lol

test it comm said...

That is one nice looking way to enjoy fiddleheads and asparagus.

A.D said...

Les têtes de violon fond de ce ptit plat de quoi qui vaut le détour. Juste le bon dosage pour agréablement rehausser le tout.

Bref... c bon !

Maia said...

Beautiful AND delicious. This one I'll have to make! What a work of art.