Sunday, March 15, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal


After all the butter, sugar, and just plain fatty foods that I have consumed since starting this blog, I am finally starting to feel it. I am NOT craving cookies, cupcakes or chocolate and it's really scary! All I want is some veggies and a couple days of low fat meals.

I've been dying for some good ol’ healthy and delicious oatmeal and remembered that "everybody likes sandwiches" had this to die for vegan baked apple oatmeal. I really don’t think that I would make a good vegan, but if I could eat this every day, all day, it wouldn't be hard. Needless to say I made it more omnivorous, but the idea is the same. The best part is that the apple cider and milk bake into the oatmeal. Next time we are defiantly adding toasted pecans and raisins.

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from everybody likes sandwiches blog
1 1/4 cup of instant oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 large apples, diced
1 cup 1% or skim milk
2/3 cup apple cider or juice

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine everything. Place mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve with additional milk and yogurt.

8 comments:

Ian said...

I was worried at first about trying this ( I was about to eat something spicy), so I can be forgiven for acting like a child being fed "poison brussel sprouts" when Christie gave me a spoonful of this. I didnt regret it at all, I could eat this every morning before work and be happy about it

A.D said...

Tzert good ! tzert very good : P

Coco Bean said...

Adam, you have seriously created your own language between French, English, and Clingon. I like it.

Simones Kitchen said...

But Ian... how can you even think that looks like "poison brussel sprouts"? :) (I still have nightmares about the brussels sprouts my mom used to make though...)
This looks lovely and in fact I still have some oats left from the oatmeal cookies I baked earlier this week, so this would be perfect! Gonna try this on wednesday I think!

Coco Bean said...

junglefrog, it wasn't the look, he wasn't around for the breakfast so to get the picture I brought the leftovers to his house around supper time. Turns out we were eating spicy fajita's and when I tried feed him a spoonful of the oatmeal he spit half of it out like a child because he didn't want to mix it with the spicy stuff he was just about to eat.(I still dont understand it) But dont worry, he came back a minute later asking for more!
By the way, let me know how ur baked oatmeal turns out! It was amazing.

Simones Kitchen said...

I will certainly do so! I'll probably post about it as well...:)

Simones Kitchen said...

Sorry Christie, but I have one more question on the baked oatmeal. I have rolled oats; can I use those or do I need another kind? We also have the variety that is used more for breakfast and is - how shall I describe this - more powdery then rolled oats. Making it tomorrow!

Simones Kitchen said...

Thanks for the tip on the bowl size! Just in time too as I was planning to use a smaller dish..:)