Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chicken Piccata



Hey there Barefoot Bloggers. So this is the second challenge that I have participated in with the BB's and let me tell you... it has been so much fun! This Thursday Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings chose Chicken Piccata.

For those of you out there that don’t know the fancy name, it’s basically classic breaded chicken (no shake n' bake allowed) with a lemon sauce. Oh yeah, and butter. Lots, lots, lots of butter. I even cut the amount of butter in half, and still the sauce was buttery. What did you expect from Ina, really!

I truly enjoyed this dish, but I wasn't so fond of the three steps, three bowl breading catastrophe that left the walls and floor of my kitchen covered in egg, flour, breadcrumbs and salmonella.

I think it was worth it though. You should have seen Ian's face when he took the first bite, he was in pure heaven. For him, breading + chicken + lemon = win. Mind you, he was the kid in kindergarten that ate the left over lemon and lime candies that all the other kids wouldn’t touch.

Chicken Piccata
adapted from Ina Garten's book 'Barefoot Contessa at Home'

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 extra-large eggs
1 tbsp water
2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
4 tbsp. olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
Freshly squeezed juice from 3 lemons, lemon halves reserved
1 cup dry white wine
Sliced lemon, for serving
Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick.
Mix the flour with salt and pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate with Italian seasoning. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.
Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add 1-2 of the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Re-oil the pan with another 1 tbsp. of olive oil and repeat. Place the chicken on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 7 minutes while you make the sauce.
For the sauce, wipe out the saute pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, salt and pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We loved this chicken dish, too. I enjoyed reading your story about Coco Bean. My dog, Coco, was also named after Coco Chanel. What a small world! Hope you keep cooking with us.

Simones Kitchen said...

I just think that lemon and chicken are a combination made in heaven...:) This definitely sounds like a great recipe (minus the fact that I will probably make an even bigger mess in my kitchen.. I'm quite famous for that!)

Ian said...

Nom nom nom.... this was soo good.. and there is nothing wrong with liking lemon or lime candies.... pfftt. Every time Christie makes a meal built around things I love to eat like this (read: always)I am reminded that I am the luckiest man ever... oh... and Coco curled up on me purring doesnt hurt either.

Penny said...

Christie, We loved the chicken too. Even convinced a dark meat loving friend that chicken breasts can be tender and moist. My grandaughter sucks on lemons.

Coco Bean said...

junglefrog: yeah, I am always making a mess, but thank god Ian is crazy about cleaning and does the dishes while I am cooking!

Hilary said...

Barefoot Bloggers sounds like fun! I'd love to join except that non-sweet / non-baked food isn't allowed on my blog. Boo hoo hoo :(

Anonymous said...

Aww, I love that Ian commented! That's sweet!

Your chicken looks delicious! Is that a bed of spinach? Yummy!

Coco Bean said...

Amanda: yeah, he is the sweetest guy! I put the spinach under the chicken for the shot but then tasted it with the lemon sauce and it was great. I think I would serve it with spinach from now on.

Hillary: Ok, it may not always be sweet, but let me tell you, the butter in each dish makes up for the lost calories! It would be great if you joined.

Anonymous said...

I agree, this is a very tasty way to prepare chicken!