Sunday, March 1, 2009

Easy Custard Flan


Ok, so I'm guessing that all the Barefoot Bloggers are making custard this weekend. If you missed that post, on Thursday we all made Pavlova Chantilly which called for four egg whites. Now everyone has these egg yolks sitting in their fridge, just begging to be made into creamy custard with a sweet caramelized sauce. Well that's what our egg yolks were asking for. So, my mom and I listened to those little yellow guys and whipped up a batch of delicious custard.

Since I have never made custard flan, (I don’t even think that I have tasted it before) my mom led us into this little adventure, and she says that we 'cheat' by using condensed and evaporated milk. Whoot, I wish I could ‘cheat’ that easily into a good grade in physics. (Damned you gravity).
Disclaimer: stay in school kids, don’t cheat, I don’t.



Easy Custard Flan

½ cup sugar
3 tbsp water
-
11 egg yolks
1 egg
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Zest of 1 lime

1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat until bubbling and light golden. Pour into 6 custard cups coating the bottoms. Let cool.
2. Beat eggs, evaporated milk and condensed milk together. Strain mixture to eliminate bubbles. Stir in lime zest.
3. Pour egg mixture into custard cups and cover loosely with foil. Place in a water bath with boiling water at least 1 inch deep.
4. Bake on top rack for 30 minutes. Test for doneness with a knife inserted in the centre.
5. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature and then refrigerate.
To unmold, run a knife around the edge then invert onto a plate

2 comments:

A.D said...

cheat gravity and sweets ??!!? Tell me more ! hahahahahahahaha

Dazy said...

I've always wanted to make flan. But the whole caramel making process gives me the creeps! I tried once,
and it failed. May be I should give it a try once again bcoz this looks amazing!