Monday, March 9, 2009

Mocha Orange Wafers

Mocha waffers
Yes... I am still on my chocolate binge
Yes... I have added coffee to this binge
Yes... I made these the second the last of the other chocolate cookies were eatten (by me)
Yes... they are a deep dark chocolate shortbread.
Yes... I practically doubled the cocoa that the recipe called for.
Yes... I ate these as a meal today.
Yes... they will satisfy your chocolate craving, for the moment.


Mocha Orange Wafers
adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies book

1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. finely ground espresso
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Coarse sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Beat together butter, confectioners' sugar, orange zest, and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour, cocoa, salt, and espresso until just combined. Transfer dough to a 12-by-16-inch piece of plastic wrap; shape into a log. Roll the wrap around the log, and twist the ends. Chill at least ½ an hour to overnight. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut log into 1/4-inch-thick slices; transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with water; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until set, 9-11 minutes.

11 comments:

Heather said...

They look so yummy. I love sugar coated treats! Fabulous photograph too!

Coco Bean said...

Thanks Heather. I am starting to become a sugar coated addict... although..sugar on brussle sprouts? Maybe not that far.

Siri said...

Wow- these look awesome. All my favorite things wrapped up into one cookie!

Coco Bean said...

Siri, that's exactly what I thought and had to make them!

A.D said...

MMMmmmmmmm well so I would be going had I had some and not have to drewl over the pic... "sight"

;P

Anonymous said...

That picture is simply stunning.

Coco Bean said...

Thanks Shannalee, they taste as good as they look!

Unknown said...

You had your *worst cookie ever* day? I had mine tonight. I mis-read the ingredients and added 1-1/2 CUP of expresso instead of TSP... Anyone up for an All-Nighter? O_O (i made another batch but i'll leave them in the fridge for the night and cook them tomorrow)

Coco Bean said...

OH MY!!!!! I am kind of afraid of what became of those "cookies". Keep them away from Ian, he becomes a humming bird when he has too much coffee! Do you have the sugar to go ontop, if not I can send some with Ian tomorrow. I had a hard time finding it but it really makes these cookies special.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'd love to have that sugar. i couldn't find it anywhere. I'll need some for my 3rd attempt. My 2nd try isn't too good because the dough is not holding together when rolling in a log... try to imagine how bad my 1st batch was (almost like sand)
I wont give up untill i succeed :D

P.S. where did you find that sugar?

Unknown said...

These looks so rich, perfect! I love the orange in it.