Sunday, March 8, 2009

White Chocolate and Pomegranate 'Pot de Creme' with Passion Fruit - In The Bag

Pots de Creme
So, this is the second installment for the challenge In the Bag, where you are given three ingredients and have to come up with some sort of meal. This month it was white chocolate, passion fruit and pomegranate. I would like to start off by saying that this is one of the best tasting desserts I have ever had. Remember that while you are reading through this recount of my Saturday afternoon, night, and Sunday morning.

My problem was the passion fruit. Do you know where to find a fresh and ripe one (or even what a ripe one looks like) in Montreal? I certainly didn’t, but I wasn’t going to let that detour me. First I went on a three hour search through the streets of downtown Montreal to find a passion fruit. Then I realized that the only time I had ever seen a passion fruit was in the Galapagos where I fell into some bushes trying to pick the fruit off a vine and had to head back, sans passion fruit, sporting some cool new scrapes. Needless to say I didn’t even know how to open the little fruit. Of course, once I showed the boys what the inside looked like, I had a very hard time convincing everyone that it was not going to taste like snotty brains.
Pots de Creme
On that note, I would like to point out that passion fruits taste so amazing, basically like all those tropical fruit juices that Tropicana is making now, but much more intense. It's sad that no one caries them because I think they would be a hit!

Now, for the pot de crème. I saw Ricardo make a version of this on TV about 5 months ago and thought to myself, "nuts to that, who would be that crazy to spend all their time making a single dessert" Well, now I am the crazy one, and I had to make it twice because the gelatine didn't set the first time. (soupy mess + me upset = bad)

Things I have learned about gelatine:
1. It needs to sit longer in a liquid that the 5 minutes everyone says.
2. Sometimes you need to use twice as much gelatine than what everyone says.
3. Just stick with jello for all your jiggly fruit juice needs. They have been doing this much longer that you have.

That is not to say that this wasn't an extremely easy dessert to make, and well worth the work, look at how stunning it looks! And the taste, I feel like I am having dessert at a four star restaurant! The problem is the waiting time, and the praying to the food gods that your gelatine sets.
Pots de Creme
White Chocolate and Pomegranate Pot de Crème with Passion Fruit
adapted from Ricardo and Friends on the Food Network Canada
makes 4 pots

3/4 tsp gelatine
3 tbsp. water
4 oz premium white chocolate, like Lindt
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1-1/2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup 35% cream, warm
2 tbsp. milk, warm
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the Jelly
3/4 tsp. gelatine
3/4 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 tbsp sugar
Topping
4 passion fruits

For the Pots de Crème
In a bowl and sprinkle the gelatine onto the water. Let soften for 15 minutes. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter. Off the heat, whisk in the eggs. Add the cream and milk. Return to the double boiler and, whisking constantly, continue cooking until slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Add the gelatine and stir until completely dissolved. Pour the mixture into 4 martini glasses. Refrigerate for about 3 hours.
For the Jelly
In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatine onto (1/4 cup) of the juice. Let soften for about 15 minutes. Add sugar and heat gently while stirring until the gelatine and sugar have dissolved and a light boil starts. Add the remaining juice and stir well to combine. Pour gently onto the pots de crème. Refrigerate for about 3 hours. Add passion fruit to top just before serving.

5 comments:

Ian said...

I'd like to throw in that yes, I had my reservations about the way the passion fruit would taste, it honestly looked kind of.... well...gross to me at first sight. It ended up being absolutely delicious, in a citrusy, sweet kind of way. This dessert = win

Anonymous said...

Wow... with special effort you made the most beautiful entry :)

Coco Bean said...

Thanks, that's a wonderful thing to hear!

Anonymous said...

So elegant looking. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Stunning! As far as looks go, I vote that this dessert was worth the effort. I imagine it tasted even better!